Thursday, May 21, 2009

Is Memorial Day Inconvenient?

Is Memorial Day Inconvenient?

By Walter Haan, www.war-books.com

I received the following email earlier this month after I complained to my credit union about them apologizing for being closed on Memorial Day in a sign posted in their branches:

Good Morning Mr. Haan,

I’d like to first apologize for the offense our Memorial Day sign has caused you. Unfortunately, many of our members do not share your reverence for Memorial Day,and consider any closing of a branch an inconvenience. Still, I think you raise a good point. I will remove the line apologizing for inconvenience, and replace it with 24 hour account access info.

Again I apologize for any offense that was caused, I assure you I share your sentiments for men and women who have served, and the offense was not intentional.

Really? Are there many Americans out there who find Memorial Day an inconvenient holiday? That would be sad, very sad.

We already know that Americans will race to the Malls in droves to take advantage of "Sales" that hypocritical stores will be holding "in honor of our veterans." Yah, right.

But do Americans feel the holiday is otherwise inconvenient, closing banks, schools and some businesses.

If you are one of those out there who feel that Memorial Day is inconvenient (for example, because you can't cash in your winning lottery tickets on Memorial Day), Let me remind you of who really have the right to feel inconvenienced: Those soldiers, sailors, Marines and Air Force personnel who were killed serving this country.

An example would be those five servicemen allegedly killed in Iraq the other week by a Sergeant in a fit of unstable fury. THEY have been inconvenienced. They're dead and can no longer enjoy life, their families and successful futures. THAT IS INCONVENIENCE. And don't tell me they're in heaven now enjoying all the benefits that heaven allows. That is myth and folklore.

Take some time this weekend to honor those who have made our lives more secure with their sacrifices. Go to a Veterans' Cemetery instead of Walmart. --Copyright 2009 by Walter Haan, www.war-books.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home