Tuesday, July 07, 2009

McNamara, American war criminal dies


McNamara, American war criminal dies
By Walter Haan, www.war-books.com

Robert McNamara, Secretary of Defense during the Vietnam War, has died at 93. He knew in the sixties that we could not win that war and that we should not be sending troops to Vietnam. But he kept his mouth shut. He didn't admit his silence until decades later.

Want to know what it was like for the teenagers McNamara sent to Vietnam? Read Monk's War in Vietnam by Frank M. Beyea (shown above right) published this year (ISBN: 978-0-913337-70-7). Here's a small section from the book, one of Beyea's experiences as an 18-year-old:

“I was having a hard time getting my breath back and all hell had broken loose since the explosion. Three NVA were coming at us down the trail with guns blazing, and as I tried to get off my back and into a firing position, I discovered that the entire stock of my M-14 had been blown off at the narrow part of the grip just behind the trigger. Nevertheless, I did manage to fire off a short burst that got one of the NVA and that’s when a round grazed my shoulder and knocked me down once more."

Monk's War in Vietnam is available from Amazon.com and bn.com.

Beyea, now in his sixties, has Prostate Cancer from his exposure to Agent Orange. McNamara's war just keeps on giving. --Copyright 2009 by Walter Haan, www.war-books.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home